Saturday, March 15, 2008

Wishing Wellness Massage

After providing massage services for 6 years in Austin, Lake Pointe Massage became a thriving massage business. I'd learned many marketing techniques that proved successful and some that that weren't effective at all. Massage referrals proved to be the best source of new clients and I found targeting those who would repeat visits on a regular basis, was the most successful. I had a Microsoft Access database of all my clients and clients visits. This proved to be a valuable tool to look at trends of client visits and to keep track of referrals, birthdays, and client history of problems leading to requests for massage visits.

After taking many hours of massage training, I decided I'd like to become a massage instructor to help teach therapists the techniques I used in my successful practice. Many fellow massage therapists had told me that if I ever became an instructor, they would like to take a continuing education massage class from me. I looked up the requirements to teach massage in Texas and started to plan for getting my certification to teach. To teach hands on massage Texas required a Massage Therapy Instructor certification and also a Continuing Education Provider certification.

After receiving both the required certifications, I decided to poll massage therapists about what types of classes they would really be interested in taking. Many providers offer the same type of general classes but I wanted to do something different. So it will take some time to assess this and create the classes I would really like to teach. Some areas I've found lacking is in areas such as learning how to not injure yourself performing massage, how to market your massage services, how to setup your business from an accounting, record keeping, profitability perspective. Also about new massage modalities such as hot stone massage, Thai massage, Kodo, and one of my favorites - hot stone, deep tissue, chair massage.

No comments: